Wednesday, January 14, 2009
David is here! Need URGENT PRAYERS!
I am in the family resource room at the children's hospital, so I am going to try and make this post as fast and with as much information as I can.
On Monday morning I went into the doctor's office for routine testing, and within 4 hours I had an emergency C-Section. David's heart wasn't reacting to the contractions the way the doctors wanted so they decided to take him right away. Believe me it was very fast and we didn't even have time to react to what was going on. As far as the birth went, it all went as planned and I made it through with no complications.
David weighed in at 9 pounds, 9 ounces! And he is considered a preemie being a month early. Biggest preemie I've ever heard of :) He is 21 inches long, and as handsome as ever. They transfered him to the children's hospital within a couple hours, but I was able to see him and Nadine got to see him as well which I am thankful for.
Now to the bad news. David's problems are more severe than we were ever told about. His brain hasn't hardly developed, the doctors aren't giving him much hope in ever being "normal" as they put it. The neurologist says that he has a very slim chance of maybe growing up and being able to function at any level. They are giving him high chances of having cerebral palsy, mental retardation, and other severe mental problems. They are also saying that at this point they think David may be blind. As for how we feel about this...it doesn't matter to us, we will take care of him and do whatever needs to be done. He is our baby and it doesn't matter what his "mental capaticy" is. He is still our son.
As for his heart problems the doctors are saying that they aren't as bad as previously thought. From surgery stand point we aren't even talking about it yet. It is the last thing on the list which is suprising to us since we thought his major problems were his heart boo boo's.
Our major set back is that David's lungs are only about 1/3 the size that they should be. Also the chest cavity is small and they don't know if he even has room for the lungs to maybe grow and expand. He isn't able to breathe on his own and is on a high velocity ventilator. His lungs are a life and death situation the doctors have told us. The doctor has asked us to think about what we want to do, and if we want to keep him on the machines. Lots of questions as to whether we are doing more good for him with the machines, or just prolonging something that is not helping him. They say to really see if his lungs will ever be able to let him breathe on his own it's something that needs to be monitored and maybe in a week we might be able to tell.
We aren't giving up on our son at all. There will be no machines taken off anytime soon. We are going to fight for him and will make sure we have taken every chance for David to survive. We will not give up until we know every resource, every doctor, every medicine, everything possible has been done. God will lead us to the right choice when the time is right.
This is devestating to us. I can't describe the pain me and Chris are in over this majorly unexpected news. We were never prepared for the possibility there would be nothing we could do to keep David alive. So now I need your help...
PLEASE PLEASE pray for David! Send emails, repost this message, do whatever you can to make sure that David gets all the prayers he needs. Prayer is the only hope I have right now and I need everyone to please help David get through this.